History of St. Andrews
In 1857, a Sunday School house was constructed between Swanns Station and Lemon Springs. This area had been primarily settled by Scottish Highlanders, people with a strong belief in God and in the value of education. St. Andrews was formally organized by a committee from Fayetteville Presbytery on December 13, 1857.
The first Church building, constructed of logs, burned and with it the Church records. A frame building was erected nearby, which was used until the present structure was built in 1893.
Construction of the Educational Building was completed in 1950. The manse was completed in 1958. Throughout the years, air-conditioning and other improvements have been added to the Church. A well-kept cemetery is maintained on Church grounds. The original Fellowship Hall was completed in 1979. In 1982, a major landscaping project made the Church grounds more attractive and orderly. The Sanctuary was renovated in 1985. In 1986, a parlor was added to the Church, dedicated to the memory of Lottie Sanders by her family and friends. In 1997, the parking lot was paved. In 2001-2002, the existing Fellowship Hall was converted to a Sunday school and Office building and the new Fellowship Hall was added.
St. Andrews is part of the Presbyterian Church (USA). It became part of the Orange Presbytery in 1932 and in 1972 was transferred back to Fayetteville Presbytery. Then in 1983, it became part of a new Presbytery, the Presbytery of Coastal Carolina.